Thursday, July 30, 2009

best way to end a holiday...

after a crazy evening and night out, supposingly I should rest on Sunday, my last day in KL before going back to Singapore the very next day.

but great news for Malaysia fans was Man United will extend their stay in KL and will have second game against Malaysia XI on Monday due to Jakarta bombing. It was a tragedy that none of us want it to happen and sorry for fans in Indonesia.

the extended stay news was a good one for many fans including me who thought we can only see the team from far but not in person and also not getting any autograph. This is because the original schedule was after Saturday game, they will leave to Jakarta that night itself.

now, since they extend their Asia Tour in KL. Which means I still have a glimpse of hope to meet any of them.

as I said I slept at around 6am after a long tiring day, surprisingly without any alarm clock I still woke up around 10am. Barely had enough rest, I check online about the team schedule of the day and found out they will be going for a close door training in the morning. For the past few days, many fans were stalking the team in Mandarin Oriental, hotel they are staying in.

so, without a doubt, after a cup of Nescafe 3 in 1. I head to KL with my Inside United magazine and a marker pen and ofcourse, a little bit of hope...

reach Mandarin Oriental at around 11.30am, saw no body at the front entrance besides porters and few securities. So went to Cold Storage to buy some brunch then went back to hotel and eat while waiting. Met 2 guys who were on the same mission as me, but they both got Sir Bobby Charlton, who aparently walked out from hotel to KLCC nothing but a normal old man. Lucky for them, but 3 of us just wait outside hoping for the best.

at 12pm, the team's buses were in front of the hotel but no one was inside. We thought the buses came back without players. 1 hour later, my new friend told me Sir Bobby Charlton is at the hotel entrance. We didnt even know he is back, maybe from another entrance.

so I rush up and this is what I got.

Sir Bobby Charlton, the Man United's ambassador. Survivor of the Munich tragedy and also one of the Busby babe, one of the World Cup winner for England, most appearance player before Ryan Giggs broke his club record, still England all time top scorer with Michael Owen hoping to break that record after joining Man United. Legend of the legend standing just right beside me!!!

minutes later, Man United's CEO, David Gill came out from the hotel as well. He and Sir Bobby is going to somewhere else. Although not being in the club for long, but he did quite lot of good work for the club.

David Gill, the tall man who deals with all sought of matters within the club and players.

after 2 of them left the hotel, few of us decided to go into the hotel lobby because we heard the players were actually back in the hotel using another entrance. Roughly about 20 fans were in the lobby, but some really caught my attention. They are members of Man United Malaysia Supporter Club. Standing near them allowed me to get latest news about the team schedule but been told that the players got no other activities after training.

None of us give up, so we continue waiting at the lobby. Then the bus driver told us Sir Alex went to Singapore in the morning and will touch down by 2pm. So, he should be reaching back the hotel around 3 or 4 pm. A new hope for all of us!!!

I think Sir Alex went to Singapore to check why they dont allow chewing gum, if not Man United might have a friendly in Singapore to replace Jakarta's game. For your information, Sir Alex chew gum in every game, wonder which brand he likes the most.

Then one of the lobby staff told us not to wait at main entrance because they will be going in and out from the side entrance. After some convincing talk by him especially those fans that came early and waited at the side entrance, got player's autograph when they return from training. We all move to side entrance.

we saw no Sir Alex, but we saw Taufik Hidayat, Indonesia badminton ace.

he was in KL to watch Man United...good to play for country. whatever happen also no need to worry. But the funniest thing was this Malay girl got so excited but have nothing for him to sign on because everything she have is for Man United, she actually handed him Star newspaper. He raise his eye brow looking at the newspaper but still sign for her. One of the odd moment.

while waiting, we saw kit man Morgan Albert going for jogging but did not want anyone to interupt him. So we leave him alone. At that moment, we still wondering will Sir Alex drop by at the main entrance. It might be a trick by the hotel to remove the crowd from main entrance. Most of us walking up and down to check on both entries.

At one point, whenever we saw any 'ang mo', we will thought they are Man United's staff. Anyway, I saw ManUtd.com blogger Nick Coppack but did not stop him.

After 2 hours of waiting, at 4pm a black car with Man United's logo at the door stop at the side entrance. One fella shout, Sir Alex!!! Everyone rush out like hungry people go for free food. I saw Sir Alex'es face turn from calm to slightly shocked, because we were all waiting in the lobby. Outside was just too hot. Imagine you look at calm none moving water, suddenly a bunch of piranas came out.

The most decorated manager in the modern game, Man United's successful achievements for the past 20 decades were all because of him. Mastermind of the game!!!

At this point, I cant believe that yesterday I can only see him from far and today I was right beside him!!! Remember the quiz I set in Facebook about how well do you know me, one of my questions was person I want to meet the most is Sir Alex Ferguson. Just few months after setting the quiz, my dream came true!!!

When Sir Alex ready to go back to his room, we suddenly sang Glory Glory Man United to send him off. Then the climax going back down again...

I was there talking to some newly met Man United's fans...

Roughly about 1 hour later, while I was kind of waiting with blind hopes. Suddenly I saw 1 man walks in to the hotel in Man United's staff shirt. While others did not realise anything at all, I knew that the person is Man United's first team coach, Rene Meulensteen.

so I quickly approach him, others then only realise and starts surround the man without knowing who he is. Many of them rush from the other end and when they reach, they asked "eh, siapa ni a??" But some dont really care, just get the autograph and take photo with him first then only figure who is him.

But not in my case, I let him sign on the page with his comment about midfielders. He was the tactical coach before Mick Phelan been promoted to assistant manager. I got to know him after buying a dvd where he teach Man United's academy how to do skills. (I didnt manage to master any of them)

After this, was a series of trying to reach the players missions from few fans. Some tried to go up to other floors using elevator but got chase out by securities who stationed on each floor. The security was tight, so I didnt bother to waste my time going up.

I suppose to leave by 6pm but my new friend convince me to stay for another hour. So I continue waiting without anymore hopes because bene told the players will never come down or leave the hotel for the rest of the day. Saw Paddy Crerand and his MUTV staff walking in and out the hotel, but they are too busy to entertain us.

As I was about to leave the hotel at 7pm to join my family for dinner, I saw a man in blue shirt coming from the lobby. Again, I was the first to spot him and approach him.

He is none other than the legendary no. 7 of Man United. The Captain Marvel, the reason why David Beckham wore no. 7 during his Man United prime time. The person who Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Phil Neville and Beckham looks up to during their childhood. Bryan Robson!!!

after getting 5 autograph in 7 hours of waiting, none from the players but from most important peoples in the team. I was satisfied with the effort I put in, the waiting was worth it!!! Its an additional for me after the game. I felt the price I paid for the match ticket was even more worth it. Never regret to spend 7 hours waiting in the hotel lobby.

then I went to Pandan Jaya to join my family for dinner. Brother treating us cause got new job.

beverages, bro's mocha chocolate, mom's passion fruit, aunt's ice lemon tea and my dragon fruit ice blended.

food we ordered..mix chop, spaghetti ala spice, baked fish with cheese, sweet sour pork chop and seasfood salad.

a very great way to end my holiday. Meeting people that I never dreamt of having the chance to meet and also having dinner with people I love the most.

bro, mama and aunt...

LOVE YOU ALL A LOT!!! Especially ah Ma!!! =D

2 comments:

William said...

At least now I know the book is not wasted. Lol

Edward Low Sew Yin said...

the price of that mag shoot up few hundreds time!!!