Sunday, July 26, 2009

I was there!!!

I have already waited for almost 2 years for this to happen. Back in 2007, I was furious when FAM called to cancel Man United Asia Tour to Malaysia due to AFC Championship. Everyone critics about this decision because add up all the tickets sold from Malaysia's group match all the way to Semi-Final. 6 matches in total if not mistaken. The sales still cant compete with 1 Man United friendly match. Not to critic about our natioanl football but the decision by FAM.

But 2 years later, the time is here. The time I've been waited for ever since I became a supporter of Man United back in 2003. ya, kind of late for me to adapt football in my life. But never too late, I supported Man United through up and down. Especially those few years when Arsenal and Chelsea won the league, my first few years as a fan was not easy at all.

6 years later, we did it 3 times in a row and the squad is even better. The best thing is, Malaysia will be the first stop for their Asia Tour 2009!!! 8 years after their first ever Asia Tour to KL.

alright, I extended my holiday for this. This is the very climax of my holiday. Save the best for last I shall say...or plan the best for last.

Barely have enough sleep and woke up early to charge my camera's battery for the big day. Went to Bukit Jalil as early as 12pm, but not surprising at all because they are people went there earlier than me.

the same booth and stalls already start doing business, polices already stanby for the big night (so hard working right?), so as some lastminute tickets buyers who line up and hoping to get the remaining Rm58 tickets.

I just walked around alone and feel the excitement.

other than Man United, Fifa World Cup 2010 also started to promote and it is by Astro.

the Sokker Safari corner with football related games, South African performances (Makulele), sport wear sales and even South Africa tour consultation. the lion cub name Simba by the way, Simba doesnt seems happy to be in KL...

after walking around and participated in TM booth to get some so called freebies by buying RM20 i-talk card. Went to line up as early as 2pm. But wait...I am holding a number seating ticket. what am I doing here in the queue??? So, I walk around again...

something that caught my attention, despite..everyone's attention.

the true Malaysia's supporters, fans from Singapore, long queue at red gate and also...Chelsea selling water on Man United's match day. lol

the gate open at around 3pm, but I just take my own sweet time to go in.

things happen and I saw before the match.

For over 2 hours, is a "booing" session from United fans. The only attire to be allowed in the stadium that day was Man United's jersey, Man United's related T or polo, Malaysia's jersey, any branded sport T but mainly Nike and also normal T. But is a big No No to wear other team's jersey. So whoever that are so brave to do so, once get spotted...everyone will stand up and boo at that person. What is worse that you cant find your seat (free seating)?? got boo all the way up and boo all the way down...haha

other than that is HarimauMelaya.com corner, band performance by St.John Institute. The stadium was filled up by 4pm...around 1 and half hour before kick off. The entire stadium was covered in red.

crowd went crazy when United's staff came out to check the ground. So is for our national team's head coach, K. Rajagopal.

then around 4.45pm. Malaysia came out to warm up, whole stadium cheer for them. We still support Malaysia no matter what. Atleast for me...

but the entire national squad kena 'tapao' by Ben Foster.

the whole stadium went crazy when Ben Foster came out to warm up with goalkeeper coach. The cheer is much more louder than for the national squad, clearly that is what our main purpose there. But the loudness still not the loudest, the crazy level went up even higher when van der Sar came out followed by the entire Man United squad.

whatever that Man United do, name of players can be heard. I also shout my lungs out since the day before. After my voice recover in shortest time possible, I use it again at the top of my lungs. haha. Glory Glory Man United can be heard here and then during the warm up section. Of course attentions were all on Man United instead of Malaysia. Smart move for Malaysia to come out first.

after around 15 minutes of warm up session, players one by one went back to dressing room for the big show.

both team's starting line up..there was actually a mistake on van der Sar's name. =_="

everyone cheered when names been announced by the emcee...Glory glory Man United was sung again by fans. United started with van der Sar, O'shea, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, Gibson, Scholes, Anderson, Nani, Rooney and Berbatov.

I dont really know the entire Malaysia squad, but who I know is Amri Yahyah, Indra Putra Mahayuddin, Zafuan and Zaquan the twins. The whole squad only consist of 4 senior players with others from Under 23.

on 5.30pm sharp. really punctual for big event like this especially it is held in Malaysia.

both team came out came out from tunnel behind the Fifa Play Fair's flag and officials. Malaysia is the first to witness Man United in action with their latest home kit. Then the captain of both team introduce players to the VVIP like the FAM president, Sir Bobby Charlton and David Gill.

after that, is choosing side time. Man United starts on the left side while Malaysia on the other sie.

the entire stadium just gone wild and I think my blood pressure went up at that moment. Cant believe the team I supported is playing in front of my bare eyes.

the match kick off at 5.40pm.

some photos during the match...Rooney scored first at 8 minutes after some rebound shots in the six yard box. Then Malaysia have several chances, the national side were more brave handling all these world class players. But chicken out in front of penalty box and counter attack, whenever got chance, they shot wide off target. Got scolded and boo by entire stadium, not surprise at all that we all supported both team, we expect something from the national side but they wasted quite a lot of chances. Whenever Malaysia got the ball and start attacking, we cheer for them as well. Great time.

Then Rooney assist Nani to make it 2-0 at 28 minutes. Of course Nani did his favorite back flip celerbation that amazed everyone. As we thought is a big scoring game, Malaysia started defending nicely and kept attacking whenever they can. Man United's players kind of exhausted and drink water whenever there are chances available. Hard work paid off when Amri Yahyah caught van der Sar out of position and volley the ball back in the net to make it 2-1 before half time.

Atleast there is something to celebrate and make the game more interesting.

second half started with one substitute, Foster replacing van der Sar and we saw the new no.7 sitting on the bench. The moment everyone been waiting for is for him to play in United's shirt.

before the fans got settle down, Amri Yahyah scored his second goal after 2nd half kick off for 7 minutes followed by a mistake by Foster.

everyone was kind of shocked but still we cheered for Amri. Then United kind of slow down mainly cause of the weather and fatigue. So, at 1 hour mark mark, Sir Alex made 4 subs which all the attention only on one player, Michael Owen it is. So, Owen, Brown, Fabio and Tosic replaced Rooney, Ferdinand, Evra and Scholes. But Owen's name can be hear from the entire stadium as he stepped on to the pitch.

kind of even game as Malaysia are more defensive but quite dangerous in counter attack, not until they run out of gas.

Then by 75 minutes, United made 2 more substitutions with Giggs replacing Anderson and Macheda replacing Berbatov. Once again, Giggs was the center of attention. The legendary Wales Wizard is playing in front of me!!! Not as left winger anymore but a center midfielder.

at 85 minutes when Malaysia kept playing defensive game, a neat through pass from Gibson to Giggs caught Malaysia keeper who managed to stop Giggs but Owen was there to pick up the loose ball and score his debut goal in front of 80,000 fans. A good start for the new signing.

the match ended at 3-2. everyone was happy that evening, great display by national side and a sloppy but entertaining perfomance by Man United.

some fans start leaving to avoid traffic jam and packed LRT, but I just stay on to enjoy every moment with Man United.

both teams went on to the stage to recieve some medals of appreciation.

then is what fans been waiting for...walk around the pitch to thank the fans while most of us hoping to get some free jerseys or boots from players, but nothing happen. As most of the team thanking the fans, both captain Gary Neville and vice captain Ryan Giggs ran up and down the field for some fitness reason. Giggs just ran awhile cause he played some part in the game, after Giggs left. It left Neville and fitness coach running on the field.

to tell the truth, my first hero in United is Gary Neville. That explain why I played defender back in school..although not good at all. I was trilled cause being able to see him running up and down the field although he never play in the game. He ran for about 15 minutes and was the last to went back to the tunnel. The closest I can get to see him.

The entire experience was great, really thanks FAM to bring United over because not many of us can afford to watch them play at Old Trafford. It was a dream come true!!! This would be my best experience until I can afford to watch them play at Old Trafford. Worth every peny I paid!!!

but there is still something kept me scratching my head.
No.1
unfit players like Fletcher, Carrick and Kuszczak and also few staffs were given plastic chairs to sit on. o_O" this is what a national stadium can offer to our guests?? If Ronaldo is there, he will buy each of them a good sofa from Ikea. Come on, cant FAM or MSN afford something better, although there are limited games played in Bukit Jalil. But nothing wrong to invest on something better.

No.2
old school substitution number board...flipping card board to form the numbers they want. What is this?? National Stadium cant afford an electronic one??? Is understandable for the league, but just get one for this stadium wont cost much right?? I bet Man United's players and staff will go...what the heck?? Even MBS dont use this anymore for God sake.

this shows the standard and seriousness of the organiser..felt kind of shame though.

oh well, is a long entry. I could type more if I want to...so,after the game. I went to where the bus will departed from and waited with other fans. After waited for around 20 minutes, the busses came out but I didnt managed to capture any photos. Atleast I saw Ferdinand waving at us.

after the bus left, went to LRT station. Hell lot of crowd over there.

but managed to get into the station as soon as I can, kind of lucky. Then it was sardin time in the train with all sweaty people.

I got second round, so must reach home as fast as possible...

I will update on what happen after this crazy evening. More to come on how I end my holiday...

until then..
Glory glory Man United!!!

No comments: